Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Public schools are so random." - Ja'ime King

February 2nd - Waking up sweating to what sounded like monkeys attacking one another wasn't ideal, but neither is waking up and going to sit behind a desk all day. We made some brekky and headed to Karruba Point where we caught a ferry to Circular Quay. There we transferred to board the ferry to Manly Beach. Manly is a gorgeous beach with great surfers and gorgeous people, similar to North Ave Beach without the beer-bellies. It is also one of the most expensive areas in the city in great part to the amazing views. We found a chill spot to relax and catch some rays before taking a walk to the "Wormhole." The wormhole is a cool tunnel through rocks that leads to a secluded area where the waves crash on rocks just below and you can see crabs as small as a half dollar and some as large as a basketball. 

For those who have seen Summer Heights High, Ja'ime girls are abundant throughout Australia. Kirk even showed us where the girl's character came from in north Sydney. The little girls are everywhere.....even at the beach. If you're unfamiliar, youtube it or borrow the DVD from someone...it's hilarious.


I found myself needing to fit in since I lacked a tan, a sexy Aussie accent and really any sense of style. I had been on the lookout for a singlet, basically our version of a tank top. Unfortunately since everything is so expensive, the cheapest singlet I had found was $40.00. Luckily we found a store that had a sweat shop in back that was selling them for two for $20.00. Done and done. 

We boarded the ferry back to Circular Quay because we had to meet up with the EF crew. We did more interviews with the Sydney Harbor Bridge and Sydney Opera House in the background. It was quite humorous as we had a huge crowd looking on as people were intrigued with all the video equipment in front of us. My first and last time feeling somewhat famous, I'd rank myself as a J-List celebrity. They also took some professional photo's for the two of us and bought us several rounds of drinks at the Opera Bar overlooking the harbor. 


Kirk met up with us and we brought him out for dinner as a thank you for the hospitality and a bed to sleep in. He picked an awesome pub in The Rocks neighborhood with a rooftop view overlooking the harbor. Needless to say, it was an excellent last day in Sydney. After my first trip to Sydney back in '07 I enjoyed the city, but after this trip I think Sydney solidified itself as my favorite city in the world. I was able to explore every neighborhood - I saw so much more of the behind-the-scenes places and experienced the city from the perspective of a resident thanks to the guidance and help of the mates we stayed with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment